Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Alumni Interview with De'Andre Bright

Understanding Humanities through the Eyes of a University student





De’Andre Bright, a former student of the Baltimore Preserving spaces and Places American Studies class at UMBC was able to meet with me to help me gather a better understanding humanities research and work. Through this interview I was able to come understand that working with communities in the city is not as troublesome as some have been known to believe. It seems that taking humanities courses at UMBC has led to a deeper understanding of community systems and life within the city for De’Andre. 




How did community involvement impact your thoughts about humanities work… how did it change over time?

-It gave me more of an understanding with how to reach the community. I had to embrace their community to be accepted and it made me more comfortable with going into less that pleasant areas.



What is your focus at UMBC and how have you incorporated that into your career?

-I am currently in my senior year of an American Studies Major. I plan on using what i have learned in American studies to become an elementary school teacher and then open my own school in the distant future.



What were your thoughts about Baltimore? And how did they change?

-My thoughts about Baltimore were all over the place. At first, I was nervous about having a class there or even going there but after spending time in the community I realized that most of the troubles were over inflated and people would just assume that the community was so bad but in reality, it was good. My thoughts have definitely changed for the better.



What did you enjoy most about AMST 422?

-Working with students with totally different perspectives and experiences to coordinate public outreach.



What did you take away from 422?

-Never look at a place and assume it is just something boring, you never know what something could be just do some research on it.



What do you think about the humanities courses offered at UMBC?

-They are wonderful!!



Has taking humanities courses changed how your view humanities (working with people)?

-Yes, it has. It has made me more patient and has also made me change the casualness of my conversation habits.



What are techniques or skills you have learned in your humanities courses that you would implement in your career?

-Communicating with people from different walks of life. I also learned to see the best in things and to work with people I normally wouldn’t. It has also taught me to look deeper into something if you scratch the surface and nothing is there.









No comments:

Post a Comment