Tuesday, September 11, 2018

“Listening to Learn: Analyzing a Song from the ASA Dissent Mixtape”


A Place Where Love is by Andy Bey

 To me this song inspired a sense of community and love. Andy Bey, along with many other African Americans, were fighting for their equal rights as citizens. A lyrical line that stood out to me was “You live your life here. And it’s a sad, sad story; That each one, of us, awaits a day of glory” I think Andy may have been referring to his struggle in life as a young black man fighting to be seen as an equal. The specific line ”Brothers and sisters, I wish they would be, A place where love is” I feel is spot on to his wish that everyone could be considered brothers and sisters and just love each other for who they were.

This song was released in 1974 on Andy Bey’s Album Experience and Judgement. It is a considered of the genre Jazz but it is soulful music that has been loved by many and inspired many other rhythm and blues artists in the industry. This is song written from the soul. I think that many R&B artists may have been inspired through his work. Not only this song but other from his album seemed to have been written from his heart and through his experiences. A more recent artist in the industry I feel may have been inspired by Andy Bey is Rahsaan Patterson. His music holds a similar style to Beys and though it flows in a more contemporary way his lyrics are about his own experiences. I have type the lyrics as I listened through the song in case some of you would like to listen as well, there was no lyrics for it online. I did miss a small part because I could not understand exactly what was being said but for the most part I think it is correct.

You live your life here

And it’s a sad, sad story

That each one, of us, awaits a day

Of glory

But why? but why

Do you think flowers die?

Why do you think babies cry?

For people like you and me

Brothers and sisters, I wish they would be

A place where love is

Each generation, believes it will have a new day

But it can only suffer what we had today

But somehow, since white dessert has sand

And a woman has never felt the warmth of a good man

But why, do you think flowers die?

Why do you think babies cry?

For people like you and me

Brothers and sisters, I wish they would be

All of us sharing, 100 years a day

And we can’t even get together to change the hand of fate

But why, why

This is why, and for some reason we each grow old

I thought this was a future

But its only history

Brothers and sisters, I wish they would be

A place where love is

A place where love is

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you compared Andy Bey to the way Rahsaan Patterson sounds in his music. I think it is really amazing how music can transcend time and that artist today can be influenced by the sounds that were created 30-50 years ago. In addition, I would agree with your analysis that this song is talking about the unequal treatment of African-Americans. This song could have been used as a way to uplift people and make them recognize their past and move towards a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lyrics to this song are really moving about the unequal treatment and it is interesting the way you compare the artist Andy Bey to Patterson. It's important to recognize the current day music and artists get inspiration and such from older artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the idea of community is universal and that it unites many cultures under a peaceful and love-filled place. It is important to keep that in mind and songs like this that are positive usually come from a darker place and lift others up which is a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete